The Ponce Inlet Police Dept. is seeking a qualified applicant for the position of a Full-time Police Officer. Position requires possession of a FL Law Enforcement Cert., 21 years of age or older; valid Florida Driver’s License; High School Diploma, or equivalent; must be nonuser of tobacco products. Will be required to work a rotating shift schedule and subject to call outs. Ability to read, interpret and enforce policies, laws, and ordinances; must have above average verbal and written communication skills. Hiring range: $37,343 – $40,330, plus benefits. More information about this job can be found at http://ponce-inlet.org/Jobs.aspx
The Ponce Inlet Police Department, a Florida Accredited Law Enforcement Agency, is accepting applications from those interested candidates that are Florida Certified.
The position enforces state laws, traffic laws, and ordinances within Town limits while performing patrol activities. The position makes arrests, issues citations, conducts property checks and performs community policing activities.
144 hours of personal leave per year and 10 paid holidays; 12 hour shifts, medical, dental vision, and life insurance; short and long term disability; FRS retirement plan.
Essential functions are fundamental job duties. They do not include marginal tasks, which are also performed but are not incidental to the primary functions. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position, nor does every position allocated to the job necessarily perform every duty listed. Personal characteristics required of all employees such as honesty, integrity, and the ability to get along with others, are presumed qualities and may not be listed specifically. The essential functions identified for this job are:
• Patrols Town to prevent crimes and enforce laws and ordinances;
• Interacts with citizens to maintain an effective community policing program;
• Provides services during community events such as traffic and crowd control; provides emergency services during power line failure or water main breaks.
• Performs such enforcement activities, as conducting investigations, making arrests, issue citations, conducting property checks, completing required reports, and testifying in court as required;
• Maintains assigned vehicle and equipment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Equipment: The employee uses a variety of office and computer equipment and related software. The employee uses and operates a variety of equipment related directly to the police profession and work responsibilities. The employee operates a vehicle.
Critical Skills/ Expertise: All employees must possess knowledge of general written standards and procedures utilized, and have the ability to read, interpret, and follow procedural and policy manual related to the job tasks. The abilities expected of all employees include being able to respond to supervision, guidance and direction of superiors in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with stated policies, be appropriately groomed and attired so as to present a professional image in accordance with the organization’s mission, goals, and policies; report for work promptly and properly prepared at the time and place required by the assignment or orders; notify the appropriate supervisor of intended absences in accordance with stated rules; conform with standards and rules regarding use of accrued time; demonstrate a polite, helpful, courteous, and professional image when engaged in any activity with the pubic; operate and care for equipment to manufacturer’s specifications and/or within the specified parameters and in accordance with policies; demonstrate an understanding, consideration, and respect of cultural, religious, and gender differences when interacting with the public and colleagues. Critical skills/expertise identified for this job include:
• Knowledge of Departmental policies and procedures and the ability to comply with them in the performance of job responsibilities;
• Knowledge of state laws, traffic laws, and Town ordinances and the ability to apply this knowledge when conducting traffic stops and traffic control activities as well as performing such enforcement activities and hours of construction for residential areas or businesses;
• Ability to perform a variety of police related activities while following established policies, procedures and professional standards, included is radar operation during traffic control, bicycle patrol during special events for crowd control, marine patrol to enforce laws and maintain order while patrolling waterways, use of breathalyzer on DUI suspects, and conducting sex crime investigations;
• Ability to communicate with citizens while performing enforcement and patrol activities, and community policing, as well as developing necessary reports.
• Ability to apprehend, arrest and maintain custody of criminal suspects during the arresting process;
Must be at least 21 years of age and a citizen of the United States. Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. Must not have been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor involving perjury or the making of false claims; must not have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States. Must have a good moral character. Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a polygraph, physical examination with a drug screen and physiological examination. Must be able to successfully complete all training requirements including the field training program, periodic in-service training and weaponry qualifications and a one-year probationary period. Must be a Florida state certified law enforcement officer, a graduate of a Florida police academy having passed the Florida State Officer Certification Exam, or a certified officer from another state who has completed the Florida State Equivalency course.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license and a good driving record as determined by the Town of Ponce Inlet. Job open until filled.