Fernandina Beach is the County Seat of Nassau County and is located on the northern end of the beautiful and historic Amelia Island in Northeast Florida. The City of Fernandina Beach presently encompasses 12 miles of residential and commercial property and 8 miles of pristine beach. The population is 12,364 permanent residents, which fluctuates daily due to tourism and daily commuters. The Fernandina Beach Police Department, founded in 1887, is a progressive department utilizing modern technology, state of the art equipment and comprehensive training techniques. It is represented by 40 Sworn Officers and 12 Civilian Employees.
The Fernandina Beach Police Department offers:
Patrol Bureau, Investigative Bureau, Drug Task Force, Domestic Security and Intelligence Section, Combined SWAT Team, Bike Patrol, School Resource Section, Traffic Enforcement Section, Community Engagement Section, and the Training Section.
Benefits and Salary
The annual base salary for entry level Officers is $51,250 plus a $2,500 onetime hiring incentive. The Fernandina Beach Police Department offers an annual step system along with the following:
- Paid Time Off
- Officers will be on the PTO program for sick leave and vacation.
- 13 paid Holidays per year
- College Tuition reimbursement
- Exercise on Duty-45 minutes per shift
- Life/Health Insurance
- Retirement-The Police Retirement Plan provides for vesting after 6 years of service. Retirement can be obtained after 25 years of service or age 55 at a 3.25% multiplier.
- Uniforms-All uniforms and equipment, including firearms, are furnished to the Officer along with a uniform cleaning allowance.
- Officers must live within 30 air miles of the Police Department and in either Duval or Nassau County.
- Assigned Take Home Vehicle.
- Work Cycle-Patrol Officers work permanent 12 hours shifts on a 5/4 schedule. There is a 2% pay differential for night shift. Detectives work a 10.5-hour 4-day work week.
Qualification and Hiring Process
- Must be 19 years of Age
- Citizen of The United States
- Possess a valid Florida driver’s license
- Good physical health
- Florida certified
Each applicant must pass the following:
- Physical fitness test
- Written exam
- FDLE background check
- Oral review board
- Psychological examination
- Medical exam
- Drug Screen
- Administrative Interview
Human Resources | Fernandina Beach, FL – Official Website (fbfl.us)