The City of Ormond Beach seeks a Police Captain. Please apply at www.ormondbeach.org/jobs by July 13, 2018.
Functions in a command level administrative and management position, directing a major division(s) of operation within the Police Department as assigned. Responsible for directing, coordinating, and reviewing work plans, assigning work activities and projects, maintaining proper staffing levels, setting operating goals, and participating in budget development. Work is performed under the direction of the Chief of Police.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Performs and assists with budgetary analysis, develops budget requests, and administers the current budget for assigned division(s).
• Relays orders and messages from superiors.
• Fosters teamwork and facilitates an environment consistent with departmental Community Policing philosophies and procedures.
• Reviews and coordinates activities of division units to ensure efficient service delivery.
• Supervises employees and evaluates performance. Counsels employees and provides recommendations regarding discipline as required.
• Determines training needs for personnel.
• Inspects work product of subordinates in order to ensure that information is recorded in compliance with regulations and policies.
• Assists subordinates in performance of duties such as maintenance of police records, compilation of statistical data, preparation of written and verbal reports, inspection and control functions and other areas as required to ensure the efficient operation of the department.
• Performs tours of assigned unit/division(s) and/or patrol beats.
• Assists in analysis of needs and planning for the efficient handling of events which cause or create large crowds. Completion of after action reports detailing the effectiveness of these plans and making recommendations for future events.
• Develops policy on issues where no guidelines exist. Writes, revises and distributes general orders and policies.
• Reviews information on criminal activity and develops tactics for addressing problems.
• Assists in preparation for, response to, and recovery from, the impacts of a wide variety of disasters or emergency situations and may be temporarily assigned to other duties, locations, and shifts.
• May personally participate in criminal or administrative investigations.
• Attends citizen-community meetings and may be required to make presentations of information on behalf of the department.
• Represents department at civic and government affairs.
• Assists in preparation, review and enforcement of collective bargaining agreements.
• Suspend, Demote and/or Terminate employees at the direction of the Chief.
• May serve as Police Chief in the absence of same.
• Meets attendance requirements.
• Promotes positive customer service environment internally and externally.
• Performs other job related functions as assigned.
Provides immediate supervision and oversight of assigned work crew and coordinates other supervisory tasks including interviewing and training employees; assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; reviewing and approving time sheets.
Education and/or Experience:
Ten (10) years’ experience in police services.
Must be a Sergeant that has completed probationary status.
Progressively responsible supervisory, administrative, and operational police experience, with at least three (3) years’ experience at the rank of Supervisor.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice or Public Administration, or able to obtain within two years of promotion.
Completion of IS 300, 400 and 800 series within two years of promotion.
Completion of Internal Affairs Investigator training within one year of promotion.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Possession of a valid Florida driver’s license.
• Possession of Florida CJSTC/FDLE Law Enforcement Certification.
• Thorough knowledge of progressive principles and practices of current police administration methods and procedures.
• Knowledge of the use of police records and their application to the solution of police problems.
• Ability to assimilate knowledge of controlling laws and ordinances.
• Ability to plan, assign, direct, and supervise the activities of personnel assigned to the division(s) for which the incumbent is responsible.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City officials and the general public.
• Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to use tact and diplomacy in dealing with public.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality in the performance of duties.
• Ability to work varied shifts or adjust schedules as may be required to meet organizational goals and objectives.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully meet the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to meet job demands under emergency and/or strenuous and prolonged situations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work may be performed in an office environment under stressful conditions.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Additional adverse conditions are present in work environment typical to those associated with crime scenes to include weapons, human blood, clothing, fibers, hair, tissue, and processing chemicals.
• Work may be performed outside with exposure to hazardous weather, vegetation, and wildlife.