City of DeLand
POLICE CAPTAIN – Complete Job Description
Pay Grade: $90,000-$100,000 Department: Police
Exempt: Yes Reports to: Deputy Chief
Hours: 40 per week Date: June 2018
SUMMARY: This is highly responsible, independent work of a critical nature, directing and managing personnel and materials. Under the direction of the Deputy Chief and the Police Chief, a Police Captain must successfully motivate and direct the energies and abilities of individuals and groups to accomplish departmental goals and objectives. A Police Captain reports to the Deputy Chief of Police and is subject to frequent review for compliance with departmental policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Must be familiar with the individual responsibilities of each position under his/her supervision, and must respond on short notice to emergencies as required.
• Ensures the integrity of all files and records systems within his/her command.
• Responsible for policy development in their area of Command.
• Develops and maintains good working liaison with agencies contacted during the course of assigned duty.
• Issues timely instructions and ensures that instructions are understood and followed.
• Ensures that equipment within his/her command is properly maintained.
• Ensures that safe working conditions are maintained.
• Informs the Deputy Chief and the Police Chief about the day to day operations of the organization.
• Commands a Bureau of Operations for the Police Department.
• Assumes command of the Police Chief in absence of the Deputy Chief and Police Chief
• Directs personnel in the performance of their duties.
• May approve news releases.
• Approves the use of information including disbursement of funds.
• Conducts internal investigations and supervisory inquiries when assigned.
• Manages the Bureau’s budget, policy, communications, vehicle tracking, purchasing, building maintenance, public records, and public relations activities and programs.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and /or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience at the rank of Sergeant or Lieutenant in a like sized agency. A comparable amount of training or experience may be substituted for minimum education requirements. Bachelor’s Degree is preferred.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: The applicant must have the ability to establish and maintain effective public and employee relations. The applicant must also possess the ability to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with officials and employees of the various municipal departments.
REASONING ABILITY: The applicant must demonstrate the ability to plan, organize, and direct people and other resources. The applicant must have the ability to plan and conduct research projects, and must be able to work independently and to exercise good judgment. The applicant must be able to communicate both orally and in writing. The employee must be able to speak and deal directly with the public in an amiable manner, and be able to communicate under times of emergencies.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to understand and execute complex oral and written instructions.
• Exceptional judgment.
• Good observation and memory capabilities.
• Good physical condition.
• Thorough knowledge of law enforcement, management practices and laws pertaining to area of special assignment.
• Ability to learn quickly, retain and use the methods and techniques required by the position.
• The ability to act firmly and courteously with the public and subordinates.
• Knowledge of the geography of the City.
• Ability to be alert, calm and decisive in emergency situations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/ADA: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach, climb, walk, stand, kneel, bend, stoop, throw, drive, taste, balance, crawl, push and smell. The employee may work outside in various weather conditions, in or with moving vehicles and/or equipment, with heights, radiant energy, electrical energy, grease or oils, solvents, chemicals, and in dusty or noisy conditions.
Lifting: No more than 45 Pounds
Environment: Office or outside in various weather conditions
Vision: 20/20 or Corrected to 20/100
Hearing: Normal to Very Loud Noise Levels
*Class Descriptions are not intended to be restrictive. The use of (or absence of) a particular illustration of duties shall not be held to exclude or limit the authority of a Department Head to assign other duties which are similar and related to work.
To Apply to this position, go to: http://delandjobs.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2iwmqwitdfp
or visit: https://www.deland.org/employment