The Wilton Manors Police Department is recruiting dynamic officers with a passion for community policing. A $5,000 signing bonus is offered in addition to an increased starting salary for years of experience ($5,000 – $10,00 DOE). Benefits include full health and dental insurances, in addition to life and disability policies. Take home vehicles, uniform dry cleaning, specialty units, and tuition reimbursement also provided.
Position Title: Police Officer
Level / Grade: PBA4
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
General Description of Duties
Under direction, performs general duty police work involving crime detection, prevention, and investigation. Employee functions at journey level to perform law enforcement duties and is responsible for protecting the lives and property of all citizens within the assigned patrol area. Position is accountable for enforcing all laws and responding to various violations and traffic infractions appropriately. Employee must be capable of reacting with considerable independent judgment and initiative in dealing with routine and emergency situations within the scope of established laws, and all applicable rules, regulations, and procedures of the Police Department. Performs related duties, as necessary.
Essential Job Functions
Because it is difficult if not impossible to present a finite list of every possible function to be performed by employee, the City of Wilton Manors reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to modify and update this job description and to ask employee to perform tasks beyond the duties presented herein. In the event a change is necessary to update the essential functions of the job, the City will provide as much notice as practicable to the employee.
- Patrols assigned area on foot or by vehicle, responds to and assists emergency calls, answers citizen complaints and/or general inquiries.
- Enforces vehicle parking and operating laws, issues and explains citations for violations.
- Protects the lives and property of all citizens, responds to emergency calls, administers first aid to injured or afflicted persons, provides assistance to stranded motorists.
- Searches for and investigates wanted and missing persons and stolen property, investigates suspected illegal activity, prepares depositions, testifies and presents evidence in court.
- Searches for and apprehends offenders; escorts suspects, criminals, and prisoners to county jail and court hearings.
- Investigates crime scenes and accidents, administers breathalyzer tests, administers polygraph tests, searches for and preserves evidence.
- Directs traffic and assists pedestrians at intersections, escorts funerals and parades, assists with natural disaster preparedness and emergency response, directs evacuation traffic.
- Promotes crime prevention through public awareness efforts, solicits cooperation of citizens to report crime and illegal activity.
- Reviews and investigates public establishments for compliance with applicable laws governing alcohol consumption, traffic, and parking regulations, etc.
- Prepares various daily and periodic written reports and departmental forms, maintains logs, completes forms, prepares speed reports.
- Attends training sessions and seminars as directed, assists with the training of new officers.
- Performs related work as directed.
Education and Experience
Any combination of training and experience which would provide required knowledge, skills, and abilities are qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
High School Diploma or GED, and Florida State Law Enforcement Certification, Florida Certificate of Police Standards; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Must meet all requirements as prescribed in the current Police Policy and Procedures Manual.